Hi, I’m Brian, a former senior software engineer and now industry mentor at Pathrise. I have worked with hundreds of web developers and software engineers to help them land their dream jobs in tech. Check out my review of University of SheCodes.
- What does SheCodes do?
- Who is SheCodes for?
- What does SheCodes cost? How much work is involved?
- Ratings and reviews
- Alternatives to SheCodes
- How does SheCodes compare to Pathrise?
What does SheCodes do?
SheCodes is an online coding bootcamp for women with part-time courses that teach programming to absolute beginners.
Before starting, students must complete the workshop preparation assignments, which teaches them how to use the bootcamp’s interactive learning platform. Courses are self-paced, so students watch video lessons and complete coding challenges on their own schedule, though they should be prepared to dedicate about 5 hours per week to coursework. If they are looking for additional support, they can communicate with their instructors and peers on the course Slack channel.
While the bootcamp does not provide hands-on career preparation, students leave the program with portfolio-worthy projects and knowledge of in-demand programming tools. Each graduate also receives a certificate of completion, which can be added to their LinkedIn profiles.
Who is SheCodes for?
Women with no coding background who are looking to land an entry-level web dev or software engineering job can benefit from SheCodes. The bootcamp is also a good option for UX designers, product managers, and other tech workers who are looking to learn web dev basics, as well as people who are preparing for a full-time software engineering bootcamp.
What does SheCodes cost? How much work is involved?
The SheCodes workshop costs $99. For those who enroll in the SheCodes Plus program, the tuition is $790 or 3 monthly payments of $299. Similarly, the SheCodes Plus React course costs $990 or 4 monthly payments of $299. To apply, prospective students need to fill out a brief online application and wait for an admissions representative to follow up with next steps.
Ratings and reviews
Online reviews of SheCodes are generally positive. On CourseReport, people benefited from the instruction and curriculum, with one grad observing, “SheCodes Plus React is well structured and easy to follow. You build up knowledge step by step. Everything is online and you can follow at your speed. But there is always help when you need it.” As another grad pointed out, “The introductory 3-week course was exactly what I needed to immerse myself in a world that I wasn’t completely sure I was ready for. The lessons are truly perfect for a beginner (like myself) and I feel completely energized and empowered to continue my education.”
SwitchUp reviewers also praised the program, with multiple grads emphasizing that it’s a good option for beginners. A project manager, who noted that she “did not plan to become a developer,” felt that the program would benefit her project management career: “I am sure that what I have learned will play an important role in managing future projects.” Another grad used the bootcamp to decide whether or not she wanted to pursue a career in web development or software engineering. As she put it, “SheCodes is a good introductory course that will help you decide if you want to go further and invest more time.”
Alternatives to SheCodes
Depending on your previous coding experience, SheCodes might not be the best fit. You might consider one of the alternatives listed below instead:
- A well known bootcamp, General Assembly offers full-time, part-time, and 1-day courses on a variety of topics like software engineering, data science, digital marketing, product management, and more. Read more about General Assembly in our review.
- Aspiring software engineers who are looking for a full-time bootcamp can also consider Kenzie Academy. Learn more about Kenzie Academy in our program review.
- Tech bootcamps, BrainStation, Thinkful, and Flatiron School offer programs in software engineering, data science, and other fields.
- People who are thinking about financing their software engineering bootcamp tuition through an income share agreement (ISA) can check out Lambda School and Holberton School.
- If you are looking for a self-paced, online software engineering or web dev bootcamp, check out Covalence or Launch School.
- Similarly, Skillcrush and Bloc are online bootcamps with tracks in web dev, as well as product design.
- Udacity and Springboard are online learning platforms that offer courses in web development, software engineering, and much more. Learn more about Udacity and Springboard by reading our program reviews.
- Free resources, SoloLearn and Gymnasium are helpful online tools for learning web dev programming languages.
- People can also use online learning platforms such as Coursera, Udemy, and Pluralsight to brush up on the basics or advance their current tech skills.
How does SheCodes compare to Pathrise?
SheCodes is an online bootcamp that offers courses for women with no prior coding experience. While the program prepares people for careers in web development or software engineering, most students need to pursue additional training before landing a full-time, entry-level position in tech. Pathrise fellows should have some background in their field of interest so that they can fully benefit from our technical workshops, which are based on the questions they will encounter in their interviews.
At Pathrise, we help our fellows land the best job possible. Our mentors, who have years of experience on both sides of the hiring table, provide 1-on-1 assistance on every component of the job search. While we place a lot of emphasis on technical interview preparation, through workshops, pair programming sessions, and 1-on-1s, we also support job-seekers on resume & portfolio building, cold emailing & reverse recruiting strategies, behavioral interview preparation, salary negotiation, and more. We personalize our curriculum to match each fellow’s specific needs.
Pathrise is a career accelerator that works with students and professionals 1-on-1 so they can land their dream job in tech. If you are interested in working with our mentors on any aspect of the job search, including the technical and behavioral interviews, join Pathrise.