Hi, I’m Brian, a former senior software engineer and now industry mentor at Pathrise. I have worked with hundreds of software engineers to help them land their dream jobs in tech. Check out my review of Austin Coding Academy.
- What does Austin Coding Academy do?
- Who is Austin Coding Academy for?
- What does Austin Coding Academy cost?
- Ratings and reviews of Austin Coding Academy
- Alternatives to Austin Coding Academy
- How does Austin Coding Academy compare to Pathrise?
What does Austin Coding Academy do?
Austin Coding Academy is a web development bootcamp with in-person courses in Austin, as well as remote online options. They offer a full-time program, as well as part-time classes. Full-time students meet Monday-Thursday from 9am-5pm for 18 weeks, while part-time students meet Monday and Wednesday evenings from 6:30pm-9pm for 36 weeks. Remote courses are held alongside in-person sessions via Zoom and lectures are not recorded.
In the final weeks of the program, students complete the job placement course, which offers guidance on technical interview prep, whiteboarding, portfolio and resume building, networking strategies, and more. After graduation, they continue working 1-on-1 with the job placement director until they land their first position.
Besides their web development bootcamp, Austin Coding Academy offers an in-person class on WordPress fundamentals. Students meet twice weekly from 6:30pm-9pm for 10 weeks. The program teaches people the necessary skills to land a job as a technical support specialist with WP Engine, the Austin-based company that develops WordPress. All graduates have the opportunity to interview at WP Engine.
Who is Austin Coding Academy for?
People who are looking to learn the necessary skills to land a job as a web developer from scratch could benefit from Austin Coding Academy. The program is especially helpful for people who are based in Austin, as students have the opportunity to network with local hiring partners.
What does Austin Coding Academy cost? How much work is involved?
Austin Coding Academy offers quite a few financing options for their full stack web development bootcamp. For those who pay their entire tuition upfront, the cost is $10,960. People can enroll in the bi-weekly payment plan option, which requires them to make a $1,000 deposit and bi-weekly payments of $250 for 22 months, for a total cost of $12,750. Those who take the online course have the option of making a $490 deposit, followed by weekly payments of $95 for 30 months, for a total cost of $12,840.
Students also have the option to take out a loan through Climb Finance. Loan rates and repayment plans depend on an applicant’s prior credit history. Those who take out a loan still pay a $250 deposit to secure their spot in the bootcamp.
The cost of the WordPress fundamentals course is $1,990 upfront. Students can also choose to make weekly payments of $156 for 10 weeks, in addition to paying a $60 payment-plan fee.
To apply, candidates fill out a brief application, as well as complete a behavioral interview with an admissions advisor, to discuss their goals for the program. After the interview, candidates complete an essay and coding assignment that determines whether or not they are accepted into the program. Upon receiving an acceptance, candidates pay their deposit and begin the pre-work, which prepares them for the first-day of classes.
Ratings and reviews
Online reviews of Austin Coding Academy are mixed, but generally positive.
On CourseReport, people praised the program for its small class sizes, flexible class schedules, job-seeking resources, and rigorous curriculum. According to one grad, “They have an extra job placement course at the end of all of your coding courses that preps you for interviews and helps you get your portfolio site/LinkedIn/Resume looking good for employers.” As another grad put it, “Great teachers, great staff, solid curriculum, a sense of community, tutors for assistance outside of class, and help to find a job.”
People on SwitchUp, however, had mixed feelings towards the program. Some praised the curriculum for teaching practical skills, with one grad noting, “The focus is not just developing skills that are applicable today, but building a skillset that sets you up for success in two, five, ten years.” The grad also warned: “Come in expecting to work. This is a challenging program. The pace is fast. The workload is heavy. Expectations are high.”
But, other reviewers felt that the instruction and job-seeking resources did not meet expectations. One grad, who described the teaching as “lackluster,” reported a fair amount of instructor turnover. According to the reviewer, “Our newest teacher (teacher #4) told us that he didn’t know why we were still learning some of the technologies in the curriculum as it is outdated and not something you will really have to create from scratch.” Finally, the reviewer felt that the career coaches did not provide “support when a real issue arises.”
Alternatives to Austin Coding Academy
If you decide not to enroll in Austin Coding Academy, you might consider one of the alternative bootcamps or online resources available below:
- General Assembly is one of the most well known bootcamps. They offer full-time, part-time, and 1-day courses on software engineering, data science, UX design, digital marketing, product management, and more. Read more about General Assembly in our review.
- Bloc and Coding Temple are web dev bootcamps with online and onsite options.
- You can also check out Boise CodeWorks, which is a full-time, in-person coding bootcamp.
- Likewise, Skillcrush, CareerFoundry, and InternStreet are online bootcamps with tracks in web development, as well as design.
- People can also check out Fullstack Academy and devCodeCamp, which offer part-time and full-time software programs for aspiring software engineers.
- Well known options, Hack Reactor and Flatiron School offer software engineering bootcamps in Austin, as well as online options.
- Similarly, Nashville Software School, Rutgers Bootcamps, Georgia Tech Bootcamp, UC San Diego Bootcamps, Clarusway, and Codeup have courses in full stack web dev and data science.
- Women, GNC people, and trans people can check out CodeOp, which has courses in web dev, data, and product management. Or, consider Kal Academy, which works with women and underrepresented groups on software engineering, web dev, and data.
- Those who are interested in deferring their software engineering bootcamp tuition through an ISA can enroll in Lambda School or Holberton School.
- App Academy, DevPoint Labs, and Galvanize are also bootcamps with in-person and online offerings for aspiring software engineers.
- In the same vein, Kenzie Academy offers in-person and online courses in software engineering & UX design and front-end engineering. Learn more about Kenzie Academy in our review.
- Merit America is a nonprofit that teaches tech sales and software engineering to people without college degrees.
- If you are looking for a self-paced, online software engineering and web dev bootcamp, you can check out Covalence and Launch School.
- Likewise, you can check out Palm Beach Code School, which has courses in web development and digital marketing.
- Aspiring software engineers and web developers can also consider CodeX Academy, a self-paced coding bootcamp with mentorship opportunities. Learn more about CodeX Academy in our review.
- People who are looking to learn the basics can enroll in First Step Coding, an online bootcamp prep course that prepares students for a full-time software engineering bootcamp.
- You can also check out Udacity and Springboard, which are online learning tools that students can use to brush up on the basics or advance their current tech skills. Read more about Udacity and Springboard in our reviews.
- Students on a tight budget can check out W3Schools and freeCodeCamp. These free online learning tools have courses in Ruby on Rails, as well as other languages.
- Similarly, students can consider using online platforms Coursera and Udemy, which have hundreds of courses on a variety of topics.
- Codecademy is one of the most popular coding programs online. They provide free courses on many different programming languages. They also offer membership options ranging from $20 to $40 per month for more course options and greater support. Learn more about Codecademy in our review.
- You can also check out Bubble no-code bootcamps to learn how to make products without coding. Learn more about Bubble in our review.
- Finally, edX is another popular online learning platform. They have courses from top universities like Harvard and MIT as well as big tech companies like Microsoft. Learn more about edX in our review.
How does Austin Coding Academy compare to Pathrise?
Austin Coding Academy is an online and in-person bootcamp for people who are looking to develop the necessary skills to land a job as a web developer from scratch. They provide guidance on multiple aspects of the job search, including 1-on-1 support until they land their first job.
A full-service organization, Pathrise focuses on preparing our fellows to land the best possible job. Our mentors have years of experience on both sides of the hiring table and fellows receive 1-on-1 support on every component of the job search process, including resume and LinkedIn optimization, portfolio building, technical and behavioral interviewing, cold emailing, reverse recruiting strategies, and salary negotiation.
Our program is flexible, requiring only 2-4 hours of group sessions per week. All sessions are live, as well as recorded, so fellows can refer back to previous material and continue learning. Fellows can schedule 1-on-1 sessions with mentors, as well as ad hoc sessions, whenever they need additional guidance. The Pathrise income share agreement (ISA) means that fellows don’t pay anything until they land a job they love and start working. Plus, we never require upfront payments or deposits.
Pathrise is a career accelerator that works with students and professionals 1-on-1 so they can land their dream job in tech. If you are interested in working with our mentors to optimize your job search, join Pathrise.